If you are looking to buy a new sweater, you need to check your measurements to make the right choice. Remember, sweaters are cut differently from dress clothes and T-shirts. Ergo, if you are a woman, your measurements may vary because sweaters use men’s sizes. For sellers, including a list of measurements in your listings is essential. You will help buyers find what they are looking for with ease and reduce questions. In this post we will go over a step by step guide on how to get your sweater measurements as well as other useful measuring tips.
Step By Step Guide
To determine your sweater size, start by laying down the garment on a flat surface. Smooth out wrinkles and start measuring as follows:
- Step 1: Neck to shoulder
Using a tape measure, measure from the middle of the neck to where the sleeve start (end of the shoulder)
- Step 2: Sleeve length
Measure from the shoulder to the wrist
- Step 3: Shoulder length
Measure from one shoulder to the other
- Step 4: Chest
You are required to measure the fullest part. Place the measuring tape under the arms and start measuring. Remember, the tape should be flat when measuring the back
- Step 5: Front length
Here, you are required to measure from the highest point of the sweater shoulder to the hemline
- Step 6: Hem
To measure the hem, just start from one side of the sweater to the other. It is advisable to take this measurement above the elastic area to avoid taking wrong measurements
- Step 7: Sleeve cuff
Measure the widest point of the wrist, i.e., the circumference. When taking this measurement, consider the room for jewelry and watches. Remember to take this measurement above the elastic area.
How Do You Take Measurements?
The following tips can help you take accurate measurements with ease:
- All measurements should be taken with the sweater laying flat with the front-facing up. Taking measurements while hanging clothes or wearing them can skew the measurements.
- Use a flexible tape measure that’s at least 36″ long. Do not use a ruler to take measurements.
- Always take measurements twice for accuracy.
- Always record measurements to the nearest ¼ inch.
- Take photos for future referencing or confirmation.
- Remember, some sweaters are sold using chest size only. These sweaters are usually unisex and roomy. Therefore, research well before buying a sweater online.
Tips For Shopping Online
Shopping online is popular because it is easy, shipping is fast, and one can compare prices. However, if you are skeptical about shopping online, follow these tips:
- Use familiar websites – when researching or looking for a product, it is easy to get overwhelmed. Therefore, use familiar websites to check products and compare prices.
- Look for the Lock – you should never buy a product online from a website that doesn’t have secure socket layer (SSL) encryption. Every site that starts with HTTPS is SSL encrypted, and you should see an icon for a lock (locked padlock). Such sites are secure, and you can safely buy your products.
- Do not overshare your personal details – reputable online retailers do not require your birthday or social security number! Therefore, do not overshare your details to avoid being scammed.
- Create strong passwords – when shopping online, you need to create an account. Create unique and strong passwords to avoid being hacked. Alternatively, you can use a password manager to create uncrackable passwords.
- Regularly check your statements – instead of waiting until the end of the month to check your bank statements, do it regularly to determine any suspicious activities. Whether you are using credit cards or PayPal to shop online, check your statements now and then.
Finally, check the seller. If you are skeptical or wary of the website, there are numerous platforms you can use to check the seller’s reputation, for instance, Yelp, Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Google. Checking online reviews and comments from other buyers is essential because you can determine the seller’s reliability.
This brings us to the end of our guide for today, so special thanks to you for reading through to the end and I hope you managed to find this helpful! If you did enjoy this article be sure to subscribe to our newsletter located below. I hope to see you join our comfy community, this way you can stay up to date on our newest posts. Feel free to leave any comments or questions below and I will reply to them promptly!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.